Wednesday 1 January 2014

Beginning the New Year

It has been ages since I have blogged. There have been so many times I wanted to sit down and share a part of our life but it has been a very busy year. I do  not think this year will be less tasking but it being January 1, 2014, I thought today was a good day to begin again.

My New Year plan is to save money. Isn't that everyone's? I have started step one for me: Think of the items that need to be bought monthly, over, and over, and over. Last year we already started making our own deodorant, and guess what, it works better. This is the recipe we used. http://www.beginnerbeans.com/2013/06/homemade-deodorant.html

Yesterday I pulled out all of my washable diapers. I put them away after my husband shattered his heel from a fall and has had 2 surgeries since (he needs a third surgery this year). I felt I couldn't do the work of keeping up with the washable diapers anymore. Sometimes we need a shortcut to survive and disposable diapers was one of those shortcuts last year.

Diapers is not the only monthly cost when raising little ones. Wipes can really add up to couple hundred a year. I found a way to make washable wipes. Here are the steps:


1. Cut up little sheets of flannel. I used baby blankets as I had too many.











2. I found unused storage containers with lids and lined them with pillowcases. Cut the pillowcase in  half and fit into the container. These containers are  for the used cloth wipes. They later get washed with the diapers.



3. Make your own cleaning solution. 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of baby shampoo, 1/2 tablespoon of baby oil. Store in a spray bottle of some sort.











Not only is this great for your wallet but it is good for the environment.  My seven year old daughter loved helping me cut up the blankets. She thinks this was a fabulous idea and stated that everyone in our home is creative (not entirely true, but we try). It was so awesome to have her positive input and know that this decision is shaping her because she was involved.

Another way to save money monthly is to line dry. In the winter months you can use a drying rack by the fireplace, gas or wood. Our clothesline comes into the laundry room through a skinny door. This is what you see in the below photo. I also have a drying rack/stand that I put by the wood stove or gas stove. We have a lot of laundry so my guess is I may be able to do this only 50% of the time in the winter. Our clothesline can hold more, so hoping I can line dry 100 % of the time in the summer months.




I have plans to make my own laundry soap and more. I know there a many blogs out there that have already done these things, but I figured I would share as I implement these changes into our life. I feel positive about this year and I am super excited to find more money saving ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment